Welcome to American Swiss Tax Services, your partner for getting your USA tax returns done!


Want to talk about your tax return needs?

Have some tax questions?

Want more info or an estimate?

About us

We are a group of experienced tax preparers

If you are an American citizen, dual-citizen, or USA green card holder, you are likely required to file tax returns with the US government. Doing this while living abroad can be daunting but we’re here to help make this process a lot less challenging. 

We are a group of experienced tax preparers, all US citizens living in the German-speaking parts of Switzerland for at least 15 years and registered with the US Internal Revenue Service. Our expertise areas are federal and state tax returns, FBAR disclosures, and streamlined filing for delinquent returns.  We aim to help clients quickly, expertly, and with a personal touch often missing with remote on-line services. 

Please give us a call or drop us a note if we can be of service.

Our Services

what can we do for you?

Our focus is on helping expatriate US citizens and green card holders stay compliant with USA tax and financial disclosure regulations. This often involves:

US Federal Tax Returns​

Including schedules for FEIE (foreign earned income exclusion), FTC (foreign tax credit), and statement of specified foreign assets.

US State Tax Returns​

If applicable due to residency or property ownership obligations we help you file.

FBAR (Foreign Bank Account Reporting)​

Through FinCEN Form 114 filing with the US Treasury Department.

IRS Streamlined Filing Compliance Procedures

If you need to get current with late tax returns, we are glad to discuss your specific situation and help you with the required forms and disclosures.

Generally, all Americans with gross income above US$ 12,000 if single (US$ 24,000 married filing jointly) will need to file a U.S. tax return. Even if it wasn’t earned in the U.S., most wages, foreign pension fund contributions from employers, relocation reimbursements, and pension payments are considered income for US tax purposes.

The standard deadline for filing US tax returns is April 15th of each year. However, if you are residing in Switzerland, you likely qualify for an automatic 2-month extension until June 15.
If this time is insufficient, an extension until October 15 may be requested by using IRS Form 4868.

Most filers will use the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Form 1040 Individual Income Tax Return. In addition, you likely will use either Form 2555 Foreign Earned Income or Form 1116 Foreign Tax Credit along with muliple supporting Forms.
Please note: most filers with foreign bank and investment accounts will also be required to file FinCEN Form 114 (“FBAR”) with the US Department of the Treasury separate from your IRS filings.

Certainly, and we recommend this if your personal tax situation is undemanding. However, we’re here to help if you find your own tax filing preparation too complicated or stressful.

We specialise in personal U.S. tax returns for regular people with regular situations. Most of our clients are employees of companies or retired from their careers, don’t need expensive expertise from Big 4 or boutique accounting firms, and prefer a personal relationship with a local preparer instead of a cloud-based internet service.

We generally do not prepare U.S. corporate taxes or filings involving off-shore tax shelters, foundations, customized deferred compensation schemes, personal income trusts, or holders of substantial PFIC investments.

We do not directly prepare Swiss tax returns. Many of our clients find the Swiss tax preparation process much less complicated than the U.S. process and prepare their own. However, if you need this service, we partner with a Swiss practice in order to offer you a complete solution. Please contact us for more details.

The cost to prepare your U.S. tax filing will depend upon its complexity and the number and types of IRS Forms needed for the filing. Generally our clients spend CHF 500 to CHF 1,500 plus MwSt for their annual tax return preparation.


Most frequent questions and answers

If you have more specific questions, please reach out to us.

Contact Us

Have specific questions? Want a price estimate?

Please send us a note below and we’ll respond ASAP.

Copyright © 2020 - American Swiss Tax Services